From:
Carrie Hoover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2006 20:45:50 -0400
These last two posts have caused me concern.  Please judge people by their
actions and not their looks or their age.

On occasion I sport an "alternative" look (generally reserved for after
hours and weekends) and am youngish but I have always strived to maintain a
professional demeanor and provide excellent customer service.  I have
frequently been praised for my success in these areas regardless of my
appearance or age.  I also have many "alternative" friends and colleagues
who pride themselves in doing the same.

You may not realize it but judging someone on their appearance can be
perceived as akin to judging someone for their skin color.  I'm sure that is
not Becky or Linda's intention in reacting to the inexcusably horrid
customer service Becky received at Kinkos.

Many young people are sporting more "alterative" looks these days - tattoos,
colored hair, piercings, etc.  These looks are becoming more "normal" as
time passes by.  Soon these young people will be entering the professional
world.  They may tone down their "alternative" look for the business
environment but may still look "different" from today's norm.  Please try to
appraise them on their deeds and not their appearance.

I am not trying to persecute either Linda or Becky.  I am merely offering a
different perspective.

Sincerely,

Carrie Hoover