From:
Heather Getson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2008 11:29:59 -0400
I agree that volunteers should have the benefit of "free" memberships.
I qualify the use of the word "free" because they certainly invest
enough of themselves that it really isn't "free" at all ... at the very
least, it is a fair trade.

In our case, a free membership to staff would get a bit tricky.  Our
Museum is operated for the Nova Scotia Museum by the Board of Directors
of the Lunenburg Marine Museum Society.  We are employed directly by the
Board, not the Province.

Although we can certainly be members of the Society, we cannot become
members of the Board because of a direct conflict of interest ... we'd
become our own employer.  However, with enough people in the Society, we
could easily influence the outcome of the voting for the Board.

Heather

Heather-Anne Getson
Historian,  Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
http://fisheries.museum.gov.ns.ca
902.634.4794  ext.230

>>> John E Simmons <[log in to unmask]> 1/24/2008 11:03 AM >>>
Right on.  I think volunteers should get free membership and they
should
also have job descriptions.  They do invest a lot in your institution,
and
these are simple ways of recognizing their input.

I would go one step further and give your paid staff museum memberships
as
well.  I once worked for an organization that included all staff (from
director to housekeeping) as members.  The next place I worked did
not--staff had to pay to be members.  The difference in how invested
the
staff felt in the institution as a whole was significant.  What the
memberships did was enlarge feelings of staff loyalty from the
particular
work unit to the whole institution.

To ask someone who is already working for you (whether in a paid or
volunteer position) to also pay to be a member is a bit of an insult.

--John

John E. Simmons
Museologica
1528 ½ Puddintown Road
State College, Pennsylvania 16801
303-681-5708

more.<http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Home/?source=text_hotmail_join>
> Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
message
> to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should
read