From:
Andy Finch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 09:42:56 -0400
See article in today's Washington Post about exhibition on sweatshops
that just opened.  The site www.washingtonpost.com; title of article is
"In 'Sweatshops,' Smithsonian Holds Back The Outrage."  Various garment
industry groups such as Calvin Klein and Levi Strauss contributed to the
exhibition, but the American Apparel Manufacturers Association did not
participate in because "our members believe that the program unfairly
tars the reputation of law-abiding U.S. Companies with the same brush as
other illegal operations."

Of interest to this thread is the final paragraph:

"The touchiness of the subject matter is reflected in two explanatory
texts at the beginning of the show.  One states that the mision of a
history museum is to 'interpret difficult, unpleasant, or controversial
episodes, not out of any desire to embarrass, be unpatriotic, or cause
pain, but out of a responsibility to convey a fuller, more inclusive
history.'  The other, signed by curators Peter Liebhold and Harry
Rubenstein, stresses 'there are no simple answers' to the quandary of
sweatshops."

You can get the article at no charge at the Post's web site today.  I
think they charge for back issues.

Andy Finch
AAM Government Affairs