From:
"Rhonda R. Newton" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 1995 10:57:05 -0400
I don't think you need a PhD automatically to be a curator or director.  If
you want to be at a big place or in a very specialized institution, then
YES.  Most of the curators/directors of medium/small places here in PA,
especially historical societies, do not have a PhD however.  There are many
who have MAs, especially from Cooperstown though some of us preferred
Delaware!

I also vote for lots of volunteering and internships, though anything you
learn might be useful someday.  Working for dining services during college
was not exactly in my plan but the bookkeeping experience I gained helped
me get my current job.

--
Rhonda R. Newton                                     || "lifelong
PA Federation of Museums & Historical Organizations  || ailurophile"