From:
Ian Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 1996 19:33:45 GMT
At 09:00 AM 10/10/96 -0600, you wrote:
>Funny Andy should mention this,this annoyance with pilfering sounds that
>distract from the objects...
>My director and I were just discussing this yesterday. I was suggesting
>including videos in yet another exhibition, and she detoured me by saying
>she has become increasingly put of by video *within* the exhibition space,
>as opposed to a separate area.
>Of course, we have no such animal as a secluded viewing room...
>
>This clashing sound can be appalling - as I mentioned in my last post you
have to treat the whole space as one sondscape and tune the sounds into it
together. Health matters at the Science museum in London was terrible for
soundclash. One good way to limit the spread of sound is to focus it with a
parabolic dish. This allows the sound fron a video to be focussed on a patch
in front of it big enough for a couple of people to stand in without leaking
into the rest of the space. You simply hang a downward pointing parabolic
over the spot with the speaker just below it pointing up.
IAN SIMMONS

- A mind stretched by new ideas never returns to the same shape

                                        - RALPH WALDO EMERSON