From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 13:34:35 -0500
Andy,

Not all basements are bad. It all depends on how well you will be able to
control those factors. If you are talking about putting stuff into a
basement without further safeguards, environmental controls, and storage
considerations, then yes, it is not a good idea.

My primary storage area is also in a basement(of a 3 story structure), that
was not originally intended as such. It was reworked to provide better
environment and security than would have been possible if left as it was.
It serves very well, but still has its problems.

There are also issues of access to the storage and to the rest of the
building. Location of boilers or other large machinery, pipes, sewers, etc.
Being in a basement can often mean you have such facilities above your
collections as well, which should be avoided.

Don't discount your basement, but be very careful in determining the hows
and whys of storing artifacts there versus somewhere else in the building.
Most designers and even many museum professionals still look at storage as
the least important element of what we do(which is of course entirely
inaccurate), then they fail to understand why things need expensive
conservation in a couple years after just being in storage. Designers
especially hear "storage" and immediately look for the most out of the way
place possible, to save space for the more important functions like big
open sun-lit exhibit spaces. They generally look at storage as wasted
space. A good way to couch your defense is in terms of cost, which
designers can sometimes grasp. It will likely turn out to be a lot more
expensive to bring the basement up to standards than some other more
suitable part of the building.

It is encouraging that you are willing to fight for your collections. Good
luck to you both.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
Wichita State University
(316)978-5850

             Andy Dickes
             Sent by: Museum           [log in to unmask]
             discussion list                                            cc
             SE.LSOFT.COM>                                         Subject
                                       Basement for collections storage???

             10/11/2004 09:26
             AM

             Please respond to
             Museum discussion
                   list
               SE.LSOFT.COM>

Hi there-

I work at a place where we just opened up a museum.  It is a four-story
facility, and the tentative plan now is to build a room in the basement
for collection storage.  Are basements a strict no-no for these storage
areas?  I know the humidity is generally higher, and the risk of flooding
is higher as well, but the designers of the original building never
thought about this.  How hard should I be fighting for a non-basement
collections area?

Andy Dickes

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).