From:
Collections Dude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Dec 2000 20:41:17 -0600
In Northeast Iowa, a group called 'Resources Plus' exists. It is a consortium of
non-profit cultural institutions. It has approximately 30 members which includes the
museums, libraries, education agencies, university departments (i.e. Culture and
Minorities Center, Public Radio, Art Gallery, Museum, Library) etc., and such in the
area. The group was formed in the mid-80's under an initiative sponsored by the
Smithsonian. It has survived, though not without growing pains. Over the years it has
achieved many goals. It is recognized as an advocate for culturally related activities
and is respected by state and local government, and area industry and commerce. The
group has produced videos, brochures, grant applications, and a scholarship fund in a
cooperative atmosphere with great success.

Among other things, the rough side includes: we all have staffs and budgets that are
pressed to the limit and our commitment to Resources Plus is secondary to these
interests. Meetings are sometimes sparse with participants.

Among other things, the good side includes: a mutually collaborative network of
institutions with a common audience and mission. This encourages collegiality so that
when a threat or opportunity presents itself it is dealt with by group action vs.
singular necessity. A 'strength in numbers' philosophy.

If you are interested in more of the pros, cons and hurdles that this group
experiences I would be glad to refer you to people more knowledgeable and succinct
than myself.

Sincerely,

Terry Vidal
Collections Manager