From:
Jennifer Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 18:56:04 -0400
Lest anyone think I wouldn't allow the public access to the collections, I
should clarify the situation with new information. The person asking to
view an accession once owned the item. Okay, we all have our quirks, but
viewing something you once owned? I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't a
ploy to make sure the museum has not disposed of the item, then become very
angry if it is no longer there. I don't know. The library manager feels it
is that very kind of request.

While patrons are quite able to request any material from the collections,
I am just inclined to draw the line with people who want to "check on"
their donation. The museum policy asks for a written request along with
accession number, date of donation, and description of item and a copy of
the accession record. However, how many donors keep their accession
records? If they can't produce the information, I technically couldn't fill
the request.
Jennifer L. Williams
Independent Museum-type Person (IMP)
Boone, NC