From:
Richard Urban <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:22:55 -0600
Carey,

See:
CLIR pub121
Care and Handling of CDs and DVDs: A Guide for Librarians and Archivists

by Fred R. Byers

http://www.clir.org/pubs/abstract/pub121abst.html

This report describes in nontechnical language the various types of CDs and
DVDs now in use, how they are made, and how they work. It then distills
current industry knowledge about disc longevity, conditions that affect life
expectancy, and how to care for optical media. The guide is amply
illustrated and includes a glossary and bibliography.

The guide's author, Fred R. Byers, is a technical staff member in the
Convergent Information Systems Division of the Information Technology
Laboratory at NIST.

The guide was written for use by librarians and archivists; however, it will
be equally useful to any business or individual wishing to safeguard CD or
DVD collections.

Richard Urban
Operations Coordinator
Colorado Digitization Program