From:
Karen Kroslowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 1994 13:53:04 +22305714
Re: Robbin Murphy's question concerning Master's programs in museum studies:

Most recently I have been considering enrolling in a museum studies
program for my Master's, and have been gathering info on various schols
etc. Although the University of Hawaii has a progam it is more
art/architecture oriented and I am much more interested in natural history
collections. Also many programs are very focused on materials conservation
rather than specimen preservation. Can anyone give me suggestions on any
universities that may indeed have some classes geared toward natural
history/sciences? Has anyone found that having a higher degree in museum
studies has helped your career at all? I hold a BA in Bio and have been
considering a Master's because I want to have a more formal training in
museology, however I wonder whether such a degree or certificate would
give me either a better position or a higher salary. Would I be better off
sitting in a classroom for the next two years or would I gain just as much
remaining in my current position, serving on committees, writing grants
and supervising the budget?
Any suggestions or comments would be helpful.

Karen J. Kroslowitz                     phone: 808-848-4118
Natural Sciences, Malacology            fax:   808-841-8968
Bernice P. Bishop Museum                [log in to unmask]