From:
Suzanne Quigley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 1997 21:31:06 -0500
Nicole Basso wrote:
>Greetings to all of the list members and happy new year!  I have a question
>regarding images on the web.  Currently I am working on a web page.  I have
>included catalogs of past exhibits which include images that we have received
>permission to reprint in the catalogs.

You received permission to reprint in catalogs.  I think it might be a
stretch to think of the website as an extension of permission to reprint in
catalogs.  I recommend you play it safe and get permission.

At my museum we ask for permission to publish in electronic format at the
time of the intial request to reproduce.  Very often that phrase is crossed
off the list of other uses that we request.  We do use a fair number of
images on our website - for each of them we have obtained specific
permuission or we already own copyright.

We have noticed that there are museum websites created by individuals that
have no connection to our museum and they uise images from our collection
for which they have not obtained  permission to reproduce.  They are in
violation of our copyright or the other rights holders copyright.
Naturally we are not very pleased.  Threat of legal action is a possibility
for us.

Suzanne

Suzanne Quigley
Head Registrar, Collections and Exhibitions
Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
1071 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10128
212 423 3568