From:
Wendy Jessup <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 1997 10:12:13 -0500
Greetings, and my apologies:

The previous message was in mid-thought in a "flashmail" account (familiar to
those who use AOL) and sent inadvertently when I sent another message.
 Please accept my apologies.

However, perhaps this will give us an opportunity to discuss the impact of
visitors on historic houses and museums in general.  I know that there has
been a thread discussed out there on visitor wear and tear on interactive
terminals and computer equipment  in exhibitions, but I would like to engage
a discussion of other types of physical impact.

An example: when we create an historic house museum, we are actually changing
the use of the structure.  Many more people go through the house as a museum
than might have when the house was a private home.  Thus, there is greater
wear and tear on historic fabric (flooring, stairs, carpeting, walls, etc.)
and maintenance requirements change, and must be included in budgeting...  In
addition a number of  conundrums (or is it conundra?) are set up: with
increased wear and tear, there is the potential need to replace worn historic
fabric.  However, is replacement appropriate?  Would the previous occupant
approve of attempts to preserve worn fabric for their historic nature or
would the occupant want everything to be maintained as he or she would have
during their period of occupancy?  What happens  when some parts of the
structure and the contents undergo conservation treatment?  Do they stick out
like "sore thumbs"?  What about our 20th century aesthetics?  Are they in
conflict with those from the period of occupancy?

Similar maintenance issues can probably be discussed for museums that are not
historic houses, ie. cleaning techniques and refurbishing in galleries and
other exhibit spaces, potential for fires and other emergencies caused by
work on the structure, etc.

Many of the issues associated with historic house museums were discussed at a
National Trust for Historic Preservation  (U.S.) symposium, entitled
"Conservation in Context: Finding a Balance for the Historic House Museum". a
couple of years ago.  However, we only touched the surface and I'd like to
continue the discussion.  I know that there are many folks out there who have
been wrestling with these issues.  It would be nice to hear your thinking
and/or any solutions that have been developed.

Wendy Claire Jessup
President and Conservator
Wendy Jessup and Associates, Inc.
210 Little Falls Street, Suite 203