From:
Cathy and Dave <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2004 16:39:19 -0700
Many of the objects in museum collections were donated at a time when most,
if not all, objects were placed on display.  Museum personnel should keep
this in mind when discussing the issue with dissatisfied donors.  Once many
donors realize that this is no longer the practice (90% in storage, 10% on
exhibit), and the justification behind it, they become quite understanding.

I always make it clear to donors that although a donation may not be on
display, their donations are always available for viewing upon request.
Just because they are in storage, does not mean that they are inaccessible.

As a note, at one time when this situation had occurred to me I was able to
direct people over to an artifact that was being displayed.  Upon telling
them that it was the first time the museum had displayed that object in over
40 years, they began to see things a little differently.

David Schlosser
Whitehorse, Yukon