From:
Amalyah Keshet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 22:59:15 PDT
On Wed, 19 Jun 1996 10:29:44 GMT  David Allen wrote:
>I've got an application to use two of our images on my desk right
>now! In general terms does anyone out there in cyberspace charge
>more for CD ROM rights (we do for TV for instance)? And do you
>make any specifications about copyright? Obviously digital images
>are more "rip off-able".
>

>--
>David Allen, Librarian
>The Horniman Museum & Gardens
>100 London Road, London SE23 3PQ

No, unfortunately, we charge less.  $50-60 per use. Reason: we've
found that this is what the market is bearing right now.  CD-ROM
developers simply won't/can't pay more.  We can't supply for less.
(Exception: in a recent encyclopedia deal, for which the client
purchased over 100 images, we worked out a sliding scale, so the
average price per image was actually less.)

The problem is this: while the average book can contain, let's say,
a hundred color illustrations at most, the typical CD-ROM requires
many times that number, plus sound, plus music, plus video, plus
animations -- the budget gets astronomical. In addition, this means
that the value of any one image in the totality of the CD-ROM -- or
even the likelyhood of its being viewed by any one user -- is greatly

reduced.

As a result, we obviously prefer to supply to book
publishers...despite our enthusiasm for the new medium.

This is a brand new market; the conflict outlined above will
eventually work itself out. As Israeli developers create a large
number of the CD-ROM titles sold in the US and Europe, we were in on
the birth of the market, and are watching its development with great
interest.

Re copyright specifications: yes, obviously.
amalyah keshet
director, visual resources, the israel museum, jerusalem
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
date: 06/19/96
visit our web site at http://www.imj.org.il