From:
Martha Battle Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 13:43:18 -0500
Cheryl,

Several of our sites fire cannons at special events & reenactments.  Usually
the cannons are located far enough away from structures that vibrations
don't seem to bother them.  Nor have the vibrations been such that small
artifacts "walked" off furniture & shelves.

Our objects conservator occasionally conducts a walk-through of structures
that may have been affected by the black powder smoke.  Residue from black
powder can seriously affect surfaces of metal objects.  One of our historic
structures has an annual reenactment that features firing of muskets from
inside the house, but so far he has not found too many objects that needed
his attention.  Usually the staff packs up smaller artifacts before this
event.

We have regulations monitoring the amount of black powder used, and no one
is allowed to fire a cannon or firearm unless he/she has been through the
black powder course taught by our staff.  Our course is so well done that we
have NPS staff has attended, as well as other agencies.  You may want to
contact Jann Brown in our Eastern Office in Greenville at
[log in to unmask], or 252/830-6580.  I believe she has just updated our
black powder program.

Martha Battle Jackson
Chief, Collections Management
North Carolina State Historic Sites
301 North Blount Street, Raleigh, NC  27601
(919) 715-1912; Fax (919) 733-9034

E-mail correspondence to and from this sender may be subject to the
North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.
The views expressed by the sender may not reflect those of my agency.