From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:01:18 -0800
Pittsburgh's Carnegie Science Center, constructed at a
cost of $40 million in 1991, proposed a $90 million
expansion at the beginning of this decade. Half of
this money was to be raised from the private sector
while the other half was to come from the Commonwealth
of Pennsylvania.

The Carnegie Science Center, through the parent
organization The Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh, does
receive an annual operating grant from the Allegheny
Regional Asset District. The Allegheny Regional Asset
District, formed in 1994, provides funding to
"regional assets" including parks, libraries, museums,
and other cultural organizations from a one-half of
one percent sales and use tax levied in Allegheny
County.

Funding from the Allegheny Regional Asset District
replaced city and county funding to museums in the
mid-1990s. There was no city, county, or regional
asset district funding planned for the proposed $90
million expansion of The Carnegie Science Center.

The Carnegie Science Center expansion project was
cancelled in May of 2003, due to price overruns and
lack of funding. You can read news articles about the
project cancellation at this Internet link:

<
http://buhlplanetarium4.tripod.com/friendsofthezeiss/news.csc.2003.html

gaw