From:
Cindy Boyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 2009 14:08:23 -0500
"A museum is not a playground"

Unless you are the Strong National Museum of Play here in Rochester!

And actually - how to behave in a museum is really varied these days. It's not surprising that people need specific guidelines - the rules can be so different from one site to the next

Kim - all of our tours are escorted by staff, so don't know if I can give you any specific advice.  We announce general rules for ALL visitors at the beginning of each tour  ie  Please stay on the runners, only handle objects that the guide hands to you, tour group must stay together.

We have a few events in the year that take place on our grounds, where families are not escorted.  When a family group arrives, we offer them the guidelines.  If there are young children in the 4 to 7 year old range, we sometimes find it effective to ask the child to "monitor" the adults. For example - we have wildlife on the property, and we don't want them approached, we'll say "remember that this is the country side here, and you might see some wild animals, like raccoons or deer. Could you please make sure that your grownups don't go near them? We don't want anybody to upset the animals."

The humorous request makes it memorable in the child's mind.

What kinds of behaviors are giving you trouble?

Cindy Boyer
Director of Museums and Education
The Landmark Society of Western New York
133 S. Fitzhugh St.
Rochester NY  14608
(585) 546-7029 ext. 12

The Landmark Society:  Revitalizing Yesterday, Protecting Today, and Planning for Tomorrow

www.landmarksociety.org
Confessions of a Preservationist: The Landmark Society blog
Facebook / MySpace