From:
Kevin Schlesier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:50:23 -0500
Hi all,

Glad I finally sparked something on Museum-L, at any rate, the letter
writing was a bit tongue in cheek, I am sure the staff in Oprah world
care less about our professional opinion, and her 'fans' have already
raised a bit of a ruckus on her own web site
http://www.oprah.com/community/thread/15265

However others have been interested in our professional opinion. I have
been asked by two family members and several colleagues (I am a museum
guy working in a library, so they come to me with museum questions)
about the incident. Sample questions: how did this happen? Why the the
Smithsonian let it happen?, Does Oprah have to pay for damages? etc.

So while I agree that none of us were flies on the wall, none of us can
accurately judge the preparations of the NMAH and their staff since we
weren't there, and none of us know what exactly Oprah was thinking, that
does not change the fact that many of us will be asked to respond. I
guess I was hoping to get the pulse of the profession about a VERY
public incident. I think the responses have been interesting and varied,
leaning towards preparing those who are going to interact with our
collections in such a way as to not put the items at risk. My response
to family and colleagues would be thus: "Hopefully the Smithsonian was
able to prepare Oprah for the delicate nature of the materials she was
about to view, however many people, when given the opportunity to come
in direct contact with such cultural touchstones let their excitement
overwhelm them. I am sure the folks at the NMAH will evaluate the event
and see if all was done to safeguard the artifacts."

Thank goodness it was Dr. Glass and the Ruby Slippers, not Jack Hanna
and a Tiger!

Kevin

--
Kevin P. Schlesier