From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:07:11 -0700
I learned to love museums when I was a small child.
To me, they translated to the word "Love" itself.

My parents were teens when I was born.  Their marriage
didn't last more than a year and a half, and my mother
had custody after the divorce as was often the custom.

My father didn't have much money in the early years.
He struggled with child support, later married, and
had two additional children.  He always made me feel
special when I visited every other weekend, and he
made sure we had an adventure when I came, no matter
if the cost was next to nothing.

Countless were the times he took me--and later my
siblings--to museums.  They were a low-cost/no-cost
resource where we could spend time together, and he
could amaze me with his infinite wisdom and stretch my
eager mind by taking me to as many museums as we could
find in our area.

My father was my bright spot in life, as daddy's often
are, and what pleased my father gave me joy.  I knew
my father loved me, and I knew my father loved me
enough to take me to museums where we could learn
together.

It is for this reason museums have always been a place
of great joy for me.  Countless were the days my
children and I shared at museums when I struggled as a
single parent when they were young after their father
and I split.

Many are the days the grandchildren and I now go.  My
four-year old grandfather loves to see "Ka-Buddah" at
the Norton Simon.  She knows the statue out front is
"The Bergers (of Calais)" though I think she thinks
"Burgers (of MacDonalds)."

She worries about poor "Walking Man" who has no head
and can tell you that Edgar Day-gahs (Edgar Degas)
made wonderful statues of ballerinas and horses.  She
knows that statues elsewhere in the museum are made of
a white rock called marble, and she wants to know why
poor Vincent Van Gogh was so sad that he cut off his
ear.  On the last trip, she even captured the concept
of the term Plate Halo done in the Proto-Renaissance
era.

Savannah loves museums.  She is forever asking me to
take her to the Norton Simon, where she knows hands
are to go in the pockets, that we do not touch, but
the wood floors sure have a good echo!

=====