From:
Judith Turner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2008 04:46:15 -0700
Canvas has been made from a number of different plants
over time.  See the following entry on wikipedia for a
good summary:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canvas

Among the materials used to fabricate canvas are hemp
and linen.  The word canvas comes to us from the Latin
word for hemp, cannabis.

According to wikipedia "linen is particularly suitable
for the use of oil paint. In the early 20th century,
cotton canvas, often referred to as "cotton duck",
came into use."

Judy Turner
Whitefish Bay, WI