From:
Hilary Troester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 09:57:03 -0400
Steve, you hit the jackpot.  I'm research assistant here at ASTC, have been
trained in accessibility issues and am currently helping to develop web
content on accessible practices, and am more than willing to share my
experiences...

Accesibility, as you've probably discovered, is a big movement within ASTC
right now.  I would recommend checking out the ASTC website on accessible
practices, and, depending on when your thesis is due, attending the ASTC RAP
Session in September 2002 on designing accessible exhibits.  It would be a
great way to get a firsthand perspective on the trends in the field.

Now, onto survey work.  I'm not especially familiar with NAME, but I know
ASTC fairly well by now.  Your response rate will probably not be especially
high, but the use of electronic formats and the short-but-sweet style will
get you further than just about anything else. For me, it would be a toss up
whether to send it to the Exhibits Director, Marketing Coordinator, or
Visitor Services.  I guess it depends on the nature of your questions, and
what type of responses you're looking for -- construction methods, design,
ADA compliance, commitment to accessibility, etc.?  But all three groups are
pretty used to fielding questions of this nature... so it's just a matter of
narrowing down your focus.

Feel free to contact me off list with any further questions...

Hilary Troester