From:
Dean DeBolt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 1994 17:29:08 CST

While it is NOT exhibit management software, 1ACT! is a personal planner
and scheduler designed for people management....specifically it is a database
with pre-formatted screens.  Each record allows you to input the name of the
business, contact person, telephones, faxes, addresses, etc...  Then there is
a section where you can set TO DO assignments, MEETINGS...., etc.   Then there
is a large note field where you can put in information.  The purpose of the
software is for management of clients---insurance agents, realtors, etc. will
love it.

Okay...how do I use it?

I can put every person that I have contact with in the file....for example,
say I talked with Mr. X today about loaning his pre-Columbian statues, and his
question is whether our insurance carrier has enough insurance....  I put Mr.
X into one record, with a note of our conversation, and on the TO DO category,
I put say, 8:00 a.m. 2/2, call insurance agent.... and 10:00 a.m., 2/2 call
Mr. X....      I can also put the insurance agent and person into a record...
Tomorrow when I turn the computer on, the screen will remind me of what I'm
to do, go to the record so the phone number is on the screen, etc...and I can
also record the results of that conversation.   There are also keyword fields
so I can type "COLUMBIAN EXHIBIT" in that...and  when searching, keep all these
files interlinked.

Frankly, I love the database.  I allows me to keep track of promises I've made,
scheduling, appointments, the phone numbers or what I've done/said on screen.
I use it to track gifts, possible donations, etc...

The program includes a report/word processing program that will print labels
from the fields or export information into letters so you can do mass mailing.
It IS a commercial software program....and the latest version is for Windows
though I'm using DOS.    I even create records for projects, and input dates
to create a planning calendar....these daily/weekly/monthly calendars can be
printed out and become your record of activities.

Dean DeBolt, University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
University of West Florida