From:
Noel Poirier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2008 08:55:11 -0400
In 2010 the National Watch & Clock Museum is planning an exhibit on the history of the design and technical development of the watch. The exhibit will include early pocket watches right up to modern wristwatches. As a side exhibit we are planning an exhibit highlighting the watches worn by the character of James Bond (both in the novels and the films).

We have had preliminary dealings with Danjaq, LLC about the exhibit and they are not interested in us using the Bond logos, etc. We were planning on incorporating Bond memorbilia, movie posters, etc. in the exhibit along with the watches and it looks like a couple of the watch companies who provided watches to the films are interested in the exhibit.

Question: Has anybody had a similar situation with an exhibit? We are hoping that we will be able to use the imagery under fair use, but our lawyers are looking into it. I'd like to hear how other museums have handled similar situations.

Thanks,
Noel Poirier
National Watch & Clock Museum