From:
Richard Rabinowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 1996 09:35:36 -0800
I love the Strong Museum, but it's important to note that for the most
part it is a repository of domestic objects, with relatively few things
related to work.  It's a brilliant study of what happens to a culture
when the ownership of the means of production moves out of the
household.  The collection focuses on the period before household
technology was mechanized, making the house in the early 20th century place
for "More Work for Mother," as Ruth Schwartz Cowen's book calls it.  Maybe
all these PCs and laser printers, and all these electronic tsatchkes we
have, are changing things again.  Museums of everyday life inevitably
partake of definitions of what is truly ordinary.

Richard Rabinowitz