From:
Tracie Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:12:04 -0500
Joshua-
I guess my question is why are you numbering a private collection?  Are you
taking about a private collection that is coming into a museum?  If so, the
private collector is the donor and you would document other collection
information within the file or as part of the cataloging description and
information.

Or, do you mean that you have found an unprocessed collection of materials
within the museum.  If you do not know anything then if becomes a "found in
collection" item (that is the donor) and you process it and catalog it using
what you do know. (if you ever come across more information the object can
then be reattached to its documentation) You would number this "collection"
of materials that same way that you would any new collection coming into the
museum using "found in collection" as the donor.

Or, If you are consulting with a private collector on how to process his
collection, it will depend on their understanding of numbering practices,
the type of collection and how extensive is the collection.  Additionally,
what is the purpose of the numbering system is it for recording management
or just simple identification.  Also, is this a static or growing
collection?  Who will be continuing with the system once it is put into
place, will they understand a complex numbering system?

Depending on what you are doing, private or institutional, will vary greatly
what you will do, Perhaps you could elaborate more on your needs or contact
me off list to discuss this project more fully.

Thanks
Tracie Evans,
Collections Manager