From:
Pamela Sezgin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 23:20:58 EDT
Anne,

A few years ago, I used an off site storage facility that was climate
controlled and also was a warehouse with smaller rooms divided that could be
locked so that our museum security was not compromised.  That is, the museum
had its own designated space within the facility that we could lock.   There
was a security system and on-site guards, too.    Luckily, a friend of the
museum donated this space to us (he was the owner of the facility) and it was
a short-term use.    We stored packing crates for a temporary exhibit there.
  We also arranged to use the space to store a 19th century carriage until
the new museum building was ready for it.    We kept detailed records in the
museum about the use of this space and we also left detailed instructions
with the site manager of the storage facility.

We monitored the space on a regular basis to check for environmental changes
in   heat, light, dust, pests (glue traps), humidity, etc.     The facility
was monitored prior to our moving our "stuff" into it as well as during the
period of the storage.

I felt comfortable with the arrangement on a temporary basis but mainly
because the owner of the facility was extremely reliable and had been
involved in the museum for a long period of time.   Also, the air flow of
their ventilation system was very good.  I wouldn't use such a facility for
the long term, though, because it is a bit inconvenient to travel back and
forth to do the monitoring, as well as the problems in record keeping and
personnel changes between two facilities.   It's also hard to find non-museum
space that is consistent with humidity and temperature levels, filters the
air properly, uses pest control consistent with our standards, etc.

Hope this helps.

pamela sezgin