From:
Ann McMullen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 1994 07:51:12 -0500
On Sat, 3 Sep 1994, Anita Cohen-Williams wrote:

> A clarification here. After I label an artifact (with whatever), our procedure
> is to place it in a Ziploc bag and seal it against moisture. Perhaps this
> would help in keeping the label on the artifact?

Though I am not a conservator, when I was collections manager at an
archaeological museum in Connecticut, our storage of lithics in totally
zipped up bags had its drawbacks.  After washing, the artifacts were set
to dry, then labeled with ink and fingernail polish (no whiteout), then
sealed up.  Many developed a yellowish stain (fungal, it seemed) on the
plastic bag, perhaps as a result of residual moisture.  For many such
pieces, we often switched to clean paper field envelopes.  Such a problem
may not exist in drier climates, but given temperature and humidity
controls in some museums, artifacts can develop microclimates in a sealed
bag.

Ann McMullen
Curator of North American Ethnology
Milwaukee Public Museum