From:
Rebecca Conner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Aug 1998 23:41:35 -0700
I believe the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA) is
also unionized -- I heard this mentioned on their job line, but
cannot speak to the adequacy of their pay for M.A.s  :)

---"Olivia S. Anastasiadis"  wrote:

> I think the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco have unionized
> representation, but I do not recall to what extent
(registrarial
> definitely); some archivists at the National Archives are also
> represented by a union.  You may want to call Ted Greenberg,
registrar at
> the San Francisco museum I mentioned and ask about how they
dealt with
> unionizing, (415) 750-3601.

> Olivia S. Anastasiadis, Curator
> Richard Nixon Library & Birthplace
> 18001 Yorba Linda Boulevard
> Yorba Linda, CA  92886
> (714) 993-5075 ext. 224; fax (714) 528-0544; e-mail:
>
> On Tue, 28 Jul 1998 16:43:19 -0500 DeAnn Gould
> <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> >This last comment sparked a question that I have been
meaning to ask
> >--
> >how many of you are employed by or know of a non-profit or
museum that
> >has a union for its employees?
> >
> >The institution I work for has been presented with a
petition from
> >employees to unionize -- an official vote is just weeks
away.  Based
> >on
> >the research I have done (unions, National Labor Relations
Act, SEIU
> >local 46, etc.) -- a union would not be in the best interest
of a
> >non-profit arts organization nor its employees.
> >
> >What are some of your thoughts?
> >
> >DeAnn Gould

Yes, museums
> >"ought" to
> >        try to pay more.  Many "ought" to learn to get by
with fewer
> >staff, and pass
> >        the savings on to those whose positions are essential.
> >Hundreds can afford
> >        only one staff member, not always fulltime.  These are
> >wonderfully rewarding
> >        places for a professional to work.
> >
> >        No, it's not simply a matter of trustees raising
more money,
> >as
> >someone
> >        suggested.  There are too many cultural
organizations in most
> >communities
> >        competing for the same pool of philanthropy.  Yes,
lots of our
> >most
> >        thoughtful trustees and donors COULD give lots more
money.  So
> >could
> >        corporations.  They probably won't, and never have.
> >
> >        To encourage museum people to organize, in the
fashion of
> >dockworkers and
> >        coalminers,  as one writer suggested,  will simply
shut many
> >of
> >our
> >        institutions down.

I do know
> >that funding
> >        always hase been and always will be problematic for
all but a
> >rarified few
> >        of us.  It seems to me that in most museums staff
are paid to
> >the best
> >        ability of the organization.  I have never experienced
> >anything
> >else.  If
> >        people new to the field feel that starting salaries
are too
> >low
> >then I
> >        invite them to rethink their choosen careers.  I
made a