From:
Annita Andrick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 1996 08:27:33 +0200
>I just recently completed working on/curating an exhibition in Pittsburgh
>in which one section was devoted to the Pittsburgh Courier. We struggled
>Anizia Karmazyn-Olijar, Pittsburgh

I'm joining this in the middle, but you local university/public library/
reference librarian can provide you with access to special newspapers you
may need for exhibit research, if you don't have a librarian on staff. In
addition to all of the on-line catalogs available, you can search directly
for information assembled through the US Newspaper Project which was funded
by NEH funds.

Newspapers were identified, located, cataloged and, in many cases,
microfilmed as a major preservation initiative to help preserve the past,
as documented through this sometimes fragile medium.

In PA the PA Newspaper Project supported fieldworkers who ferreted out
holdings in traditional libraries as well as private sources in attics and
basements to discover earliest publication dates, and evaluate the
condition of items. Some items in private hands were filmed to increase
accessibility. End results of this initiative included better organization
and awareness of what was out there and available in original form and via
microfilm.

 Information was catalogued on OCLC bibliographic utility. [This
information is probably on RLIN bibliographic database, too.] To access
this information, your Reference Librarian can get on the OCLC database and
do a search of serials by title, span dates, subject and then request
holdings and locate which library has the item. You may request a photocopy
of a particular citation via interlibrary loan for a fairly modest
charge.You could also contact the repository directly. [There are many
other helpful volumes to subject search for leads.]

The US Newspaper Project has published a reference volume which lists
titles, dates and availability. Libraries that have purchased this volume
usually keep it in REFERENCE.

Good luck in your search.