From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 05:22:59 -0700
--- Elizabeth Walton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Museum time depends on your interests and how much you read, I would give a
> half day for each place on average, maybe more for American History and
> Holocaust and zoo. But most museums could take most of a day or even more
> if you are really interested in the content. The national portrait gallery
> and museum of women in the arts are good too

I thought that the NPG and American art were closed for renovations.

But if you have the time, both are right in Chinatown, which is worth a visit.

As for museums to see, I strongly suggest that you plan on seeing either one or
two museums a day. Any more and you'll run yourself ragged. Go to their
websites and pick some exhibits that you really want to see and then wander
through the galleries. A lot of them especially at Natural History, are
undergoing much needed renovation so be flexible.

Also at this time is a special Egypt exhibit at the National Gallery of Art (a
Federal museum but not part of the Smithsonian) that is a must see. Get
advanced tickets to avoid wasting your time in line.

The Vietnam memorial is past the Washington Monument and near the Lincoln
memorial and reflecting pool. It is a major hike from the Smithsonian!! Heck,
walking from Air and Space to American History is nearly a mile. Distances are
deceiving on the Mall. I think Federal Triangle is the nearest metro stop but
check the maps.

The zoo is another major hike. The closest metro stop is Woodley Park which is
about a mile from the entrance. Then you have to walk all over the zoo.
Personally, I find it easier to drive in and pay for parking if you have hired
a car. I think there might be a bus that runs to the gate but by the time you
have waited for the bus and done all the transfers, it's about the same amount
of time as walking in the first place.

Other things to take into consideration is that most museums (if not all of
them) now have x-ray machines and guards checking bags at the door. Plan on
waiting in line and delays there. Yes, it's a major pain. (And the SI has
always had bomb threats and yahoos coming through the doors so I don't see why
this time in history is any different but I won't get started on it. :)

Other DC things to do:

- The cheap tickets place in front of the Old Post Office Pavillion. Definitely
catch a show if you can. DC has great theater. If you can get to the Kennedy
Center, do it. It's an amazing venue. The National Theater is also a great
place. Ford's theater is neat, but not a great theater venue as it's older and
rather small. Studio Theater and Arena Stage put on marvelous productions. The
Folger/Shakespere Theater are also good.

- The Old Post Office Pavillion - eat at the food court and look around. It's
now full of cheesy shops but it's a cool building and not that far off of the
mall.

- The Library of Congress - has exhibit space and a tour. More books than you
can possibly imagine and it's right behind the Capital. (The *other* dome at
the top of the Mall.)

- The National Aquarium - There's a little aquarium in the basement of The
Department of Labor (someone help me here) that's a nice place to go to get
away from the tourists. Not expansive by any means but good for taking a
breather.

- The Dupont Circle and Adams Morgan areas - great resturants, quirky shops and
plenty of atmosphere. Dupont is sort of the "gayborhood" but there's a wide mix
of people that live and hang out there. Adams Morgan has excellent resturants.

- The National Cathedral - A ways from everything but worth the drive if you
want to get out there. It's got a spectacular garden and a nice tour.

- Old Town Alexandria - Right off the King Street Metro. Full of great shops
and resturants and dates back to the early 1700s. (I know, that's early for you
Europeans. :) You'll have to walk a bit from the metro stop but it's worth it.
If you go, check out the Torpedo Factor art center right on the waterfront. It
would be a nice evening trip. I don't think I've ever eaten at a bad resturant
in Old Town and the shops are open until 9 or 10 on the weekdays and some later
on the weekends.

Things to avoid:

- The White House Tour - unless you have a facination for china. Long lines and
you see like 3 rooms. Whee!

- The Washington Monument - look at it but don't waste your time in line to go
up it. You look out. You see the city. Whee!!

- The FBI tour - It's kind of cool but again, you'll wait in line for ages just
to see a couple of exhibits and a few labs that aren't used that much. Sadly,
Scully and Mulder do not hang out there but there is a little exhibit to the
Silence of the Lambs. If you come back during the off-season, it would be
something to see if you have time.

- The National Archives - Okay you archivists, don't shoot me here but you'll
stand in line to see old bits of paper and that's about it. Again, something to
see if there isn't a wait but I don't think it's worth fighting the crowds.

- Georgetown - it's not on the subway system and it's being over run by
yuppies. There are some nice shops and resturants there but it's not worth time
on a short trip. But if you are an Exorcist fan, it does have the stairs that
Father Damian gets thrown down at the end of the movie. Georgetown U has some
neat architecture but it's a pain to get to.

- Standing in line for more than 30 minutes at anything. There's too much to
see in DC to waste your time waiting around at any one place. If it's something
that you simply *have* to see, then go ahead and wait. But don't do it more
than once.

Have a great trip!!

Deb