From:
Leonard Will <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 22:35:03 +0100
In article <[log in to unmask]>, on Mon, 19 Apr 1999 at
12:42:01, Richard Haven <URL: mailto:[log in to unmask]> writes
>Where can I find information about inexpensive, Windows software for
>cataloging small museums' collections including: clothing, books,
>photos, household items, posters, etc. ?

Have a look at the list on the mda site at
<http://www.mdocassn.demon.co.uk/software.htm>

>If I cannot find anything, I will write it myself and offer it as
>DonationWare. Anyone have a  good product name?

This is a non-trivial application if you are going to do it well, but
good luck if you decide to go ahead. There are not many free or cheap
museum cataloguing application packages around, and many museums would
welcome having one, but be sure to discuss it fully with other museum
professionals who know the requirements of such a package.

Do think about standards before you start, both for the fields you
include and the terminology you use for names of things, places, people,
organisations, materials and subjects.

You will find some guidance on standards at the mda site, home page
<http://www.mda.org.uk/> and the CIDOC site
<http://www.cidoc.icom.org/>, but it's a big topic.

Leonard Will
--
Willpower Information       (Partners: Dr Leonard D Will, Sheena E Will)
Information Management Consultants                 Tel: +44 181 372 0092