From:
Rebecca Swartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 12:33:27 -0500
Hello fellow listers:
I am an Arts Administration graduate student from the School of the Art
Institute of Chicago currently working on my thesis, which is a leadership
study specific to the museum profession.  I am interested in learning what
qualities and/or skills museum staff members want in their leaders today and
also what current museum directors see as their own strengths and/or skills.
I am curious about overall leadership style and how it relates to our
perception of success.  I am also generally interested in who are leaders
are and who we ideally want them to be. Although there have been numerous
leadership studies over the years, I haven't seen many focused on the museum
profession.

I would be very grateful to those of you who could take a few minutes to
reply to the following question:

What qualities/skills do you look for in a leader, or if you are in a
leadership position, what qualities/skills do you believe you possess?
Please try to keep the list to a maximum of ten attributes and reply
off-list to me at [log in to unmask]

The information will be used to formulate a survey that will be sent to
select museums in the next couple months.   Any and all reading suggestions
on museum leadership are also appreciated --please reply off-line at the
email address listed below.

Thank you for your time and hopefully, your willingness to participate!

Rebecca D. Swartz
MAAA candidate
The School of the Art Institute of Chicago
(919) 962-3693 (work)
(919) 402-0737 (home)