From:
Stephen Brand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 22:50:17 EDT
In a message dated 10/1/98 7:56:52 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<I have informed my Executive Committee that my FY'99 budget will include
a proposal to create a Program Development Officer to the staff and that
the person filling this position will be expected to generate his/her
salary the first year and in five years and beyond, generate 150% of the
salary.  They took it well but asked that I include with my proposal,
the general thinking within the profession on such an approach and some
example of other museums that take this approach.

Guess what I'm looking for?  Do any of you do this?  If so, how well
does it work?>>

I think this is a good idea.  But what type of resources are you giving this
individual.  Are you providing them with any seed money -- for program
development, marketing, market research and evaluation, and prototyping.
Providing them with 5 years to make 150% of their money in my eyes is more
than reasonable.  But breaking even in their first year is challenging if you
want them to be innovative.   Is there any room to fail, learn from their
mistakes and do it again the right way.  I was the Director of the National
Inventors Hall of Fame and I learned that failure and persistance is the
essence of all successful inventors and most entrepreneurs.  I think it's a
great model if you provide them with some resources.

Good luck,

Stephen Brand
President and Chief Imagination Officer
The New Enterprise Factory