From:
Beth Moser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 14:05:02 -0500
I just can't help but respond to Claudia Nicholson's message in which she
stated, "I was once told by a museum director with whom I had applied for a
job that he "just didn't need another strong woman" on his staff. This was
many months after the job had been filled, and I took it as a compliment."

While she was flattered that the interviewer found her to be a "strong
woman," I find the message being sent (by the interviewer, not Claudia
herself) to be disconcerting. Even "weak" women or "strong" men will
contribute to the sometimes contentious environment in museums, and everyone,
even those who appear to be meek or shy, hold convictions which they will
defend in their workplace.

I realize there are many competing ideas and compelling approaches within any
given museum, but that shouldn't prevent someone from hiring a perfectly
qualified, well-prepared candidate simply because he or she is "strong."

I do appreciate the point that sometimes we, as job candidates, sometimes are
simply not the right fit for a position (regardless of our interview
performance), and I certainly don't think that Claudia meant to condone this
attitude in any way, but it's definitely an eye-opener.

Beth Moser
Middle Tennessee State University