From:
"Frank E. Thomson, III" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 22:00:31 -0400
 The low salary thread tends to cycle through Museum-L with a certain
regularity.  Unfortunately, each cycle tends to develop the same
suggestions: forming unions, making a certain salary level part of the
accredidation process...

We tend to overlook the hundreds of people entering the profession every
year, some from museum studies, art history masters, history masters,
science types and people burned out from teaching, law, business and
whatever else.  How many can the museum field absorb?  For entry level
positions it is a buyers market.  No matter how low the salary, someone will
take the job.

Most of us start out at ridiculously low wages for a couple of reasons:
first we love the work and second we have a slightly irrational belief that
we will move up-either in the same museum or to a larger museum-and gain a
larger salary.  If you are lucky, this occurs.  There is a strong variation
in salaries among museum professionals from the often cited 15,000 to
150,000.  Most people I know make more than 15k but a lot less than 150k

I am currently earning just over 3 times more than my entry level position.
Of course I am still earning only slightly more than the starting salary of
a teacher with a masters degree in North Carolina (yes, I know how hard they
work.)

For those who don't move up for whatever reasons, many turn to other
careers.  Hopefully, they retain their interest in art, science or history
and museums.  They are probably a little richer for the experience and our
field is richer for their participation.

It is a tough field.  There are many things I would like to see change in
the museum field.  But, I wouldn't trade my work for anything else I know
of.

Frank E. Thomson, III