From:
Nicholas Burlakoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:08:34 -0400
David Harvey writes:... "Is removing the circa 1900 additions on Montpelier
any
different from the past practice of taking down period buildings and
re-erecting
them on another site - sometimes in re-creating villages that never were?"

Yes, it is quite different. In the case of removing a building and placing
it in another environment, it is an attempt to preserve a bit of
architectural history. It may not be an ideal solution, but it is definitely
preferable to another strip mall and a pile of old construction debris. In
the removal of an historical addition we have a destruction of architectural
history and an arbitrarily determined standard.  I submit that there is a
world of difference between preservation and destruction.
nburlakoff