From:
Amy Kleinert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 14:24:59 -0700
I have just arrived - but have worked toward this
position for the past 4 years (got my MPA, did the
volunteer work, worked in low hourly positions in the
museum, and have interned a lot).  I feel like my
circumstance is bit unique.  I am in a management
position, while most new arrivals are in entry level
positions.  It is difficult for me to relate to my
generational peers in the museum field. Yes, a mentor
would be wonderful. Issues have come up in the past
year where I've felt I need advice from within my
profession about my career, but cannot go to my
co-workers and the issues have tended to be a bit
personal (maybe a little neurotic) for a list.

So what would I like to know or desire from a more
tenured group or individual:
1) When to be patient and when to fight the battle.
2) Develop a network beyond my physical location.  The
list speaks of networking when looking for a new job,
well I know all the folks in my region and suspect my
next job will be far, far away from here.  I don't
know how many more Northern Indiana winters I can
handle!
3) Supportive, critical, unsolicited advice.
Thankfully, my workplace is extremely supportive, but
rarely do I hear criticism.  C'mon, no one is that
great.

Hey Indigo, thanks for all your commentary.  I like a
good frenzy once and a while.
Amy
--- Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> This is a two-parter:
>
> FOR THE TENURED, MORE SENIOR MUSEUMS FOLK:
>
> What are three things you believe that young people
> should know and be prepared to handle in museums
> work?
>
> Conversely,
>
> FOR THE NOT YET THERES OR JUST ARRIVEDS:
>
> If any of these people here were willing to mentor
> you, what are three things you would truly like to
> learn from them?
>
> In both instances, please be specific.
>

> =====
> Indigo Nights

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may
> obtain detailed information about the listserv
> commands by sending a one line e-mail message to
> [log in to unmask] . The body of the
>
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one
> line e-mail message to [log in to unmask]
> . The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

=====
Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one.
-- Stella Adler