From:
"Panza, Robin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 14:03:09 -0500
>>>>From: Lori Allen [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Alcohol, despite the right-wing's position, is a big part of American
history and to ignore or delete it from the story seems much like
revisionist history to me. Please respond on or off list.<<<<

It seems to me, you've answered your question right there!  That's what you
need to tell anyone who starts to object.

I have a real problem with dumping the contents of containers if the museum
is about the contents (like the Brown Forman Museum).  If the collection
object is the packaging, then by all means empty (even clean!) the packages.
But to dump the contents when that's the "specimen" is like throwing out the
bird and saving the box it was sent to us inside.  So, in my mind, the
question is whether you are maintaining a bottle collection (history of
packaging) or a spirits collection (history of foodstuffs).  If it's the
latter, you just have to work harder at maintaining it safely.  Those of us
storing animals and plants can do it, so why not?

Robin, a hard-core Pepsi fiend (de-caf or high-test, none of that diet
stuff).  Given a choice between coke, coffee, and nothing, I'll take
nothing, thank you!

Robin K Panza
Section of Birds, Carnegie Museum of Natural History
4400 Forbes Ave.
Pittsburgh  PA  15213  USA
phone:  412-622-3255
fax:  412-622-8837