From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 10:38:15 -0700
--- Suzan Reed <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> What specific skills do you contribute to the design and development of
> learning strategies for your
> products or lessons?
>
> I'm trying to figure out where your job ends and the Project Coordinator or
> others on the team start.

On an ID team, the instructional designer is there to work the education aspect
of the project. You should have a SME (Subject Matter Expert) or SMEs who will
provide content. In a museum, that will probably be curators. Then you will
have the "techie" types that will do the actual deveoping and programming of
the web component. Their expertise lies with the technology and what can be
done with it.

The instructional designer is "translator" so to speak between the SMEs and the
techies. IDs have knowledge of educational theories and practices and how to
apply them to the web (or other teaching medium). They also work with the SMEs
to set goals and objectives for the lessons and help rewrite the content so
that it works on the web. (Unfortunately, you can't just take existing content
and slap it on web pages.)

IDs will also work with the techies to design the looks and feel of the
website, navigation structure and style guides. They should also know about
accessibility issues and how to address them. The ID will also help convey this
information to the SMEs and make sure all the elements of the project work
together to meet the specified goals and objectives.

A project manager is there to make sure that the only thing the team members
have to worry about is their specific jobs. On smaller projects, I've been both
the ID and the project manager. Sometimes it's the SME that is the project
manager or another ID or techie that isn't working directly on the project. But
the project manager should be familiar with the ID design process and how much
time each piece should take.

Deb