From:
HNEEDHAM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 1995 07:11:30 +0000
Tom Moritz;

Well said, Tom!

One of the interesting ways to combine entertainment with education is through
the "sound and light" show in its various forms. Some of these, too, have
effects only at the affective level, others can influence cognition. A very
interesting example of the genre is the "Blood on the Southern Cross" show at
Sovereign Hill in Ballarat (VIC) Australia. Sovereign Hill is a reconstructed
historical site which ranks with Louisbourg and Colonial Williamsburg in size,
complexity and quality. It is an 1850s gold rush town and the show is based on
a local rebellion. Intended to attract 25,000 viewers a year, the show has
attracted 70,000+ in the three years it has been played and the institution has
already made a profit of more than $AU250,000! I will be doing a workshop there
in November and will be particularly interested in seeing how it affects
viewers, especially as we are,considering something similar, to be based on
West Coast First Peoples material.

One of Sovereign Hill's other interesting programs which combines education and
entertainment in equal measure is its 2 and 3 day residential school programs,
where the children live on site in the dress and (apparently) lifestyle of the
1850s - something else I want to have a closer look at.

Harry Needham