From:
Judith Turner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Nov 2009 21:37:16 -0800
I need a break -- it's gotten to be a chore reading through the messages on this List.  I'll check in via the web interface I've time.  If I feel that I have anything unique to contribute, I can switch from no mail to mail.

When the Creation Museum opened a few years ago (Memorial Day weekend, 200?) we went round and round on the subject of religious and scientific beliefs.  Just as it did in this case, the discussion started from a museum perspective but got hijacked and and people mounted their soapboxes. We'll never convince each other.

Personally, I am happy to let those of you closer in age to people seeking to enter the field to do the online, remote advising that seems so popular among the students. It troubles me that this seems to have become an alternative to asking for advice from people one knows who are bound to have a better grasp of the where's, when's and why's of the situation than a bunch of total strangers.)

A few questions to mull  -- how many museums (i.e., entities with collections and related exhibit and educational programming) are there in the U.S.?  how many places of worship (churches, chapels, shrines, etc.) in the U.S.?  Do the people who feel museums have an obligation to present religious beliefs alongside scientific theory expect pastors (rabbis, imams, bishops) to give equal time to scientists and museum curators?

JT