From:
"Suzanne M. Fischer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2007 10:35:43 -0600
You might also integrate some off-the-shelf guestbook software with a
social mapping web app like frappr (http://frappr.com) or platial
(http://platial.com), in which folks can add themselves to online maps.
  These maps also allow for comments and messages among mappers.

Paul's solution also sounds pretty ingenious, and perhaps you could use
his software and, if you don't want to develop a new website to
integrate with it like Paul's team did (using the google maps API), you
could just use frappr.

Best,
Suzanne

Suzanne M. Fischer
Collections Manager
Hennepin County Medical Center History Museum
701 Park Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55415
(612) 873-6485

From:    Paul Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Computer Virtual Guest Book

We just used a website interfaced through a kiosk for a similar
situation.  While we didn't have the cool mapping feature, we do collect
information from our visitors using this interface.  The information is
then emailed directly to our membership department.  Once there, a
program automatically strips the information from the email and adds it
to the membership database.  It can even be configured to send a
confirmation email to the visitor so that they have stuff from us when
they get home.

We programmed the whole interface in HTML.  The hardware runs from a
CDROM (no harddrive) and is locked to the one website that we use (no
unwanted cruising by visitors).  I modified the CDROM software from a
distribution of Linux and used a very slimmed down browser with locks on
it.

We found a cheap (less that $40) email to database program that
interfaces with Thunderbird.

So our total out of pocket expense for the software was $40.  Our
graphic designer made the website (which can also do the map thing, its
used on lots of websites for narrowing the search down - www.realtor.com
is an example) and I rewrote the software.

We installed it in a custom made kiosk that looks like an artistic
podium.  The computer is embedded in the base and the screen, keyboard,
and ball mouse are securely attached.  Total cost (no touchscreen) was
$600.

So for staff time and $640, we have the same thing that works
surprisingly well.  The best part is that since the webpage is hosted
away from the kiosk, our staff can update and change the questions at
their discretion.

If you want the software I made for the CDROM, I'd be glad to send a
copy.  If you're feeling adventuresome and want to hack it yourself
(really quite fun), search for "boothbox"
(http://boothbox.sourceforge.net/index.html) and you can download an ISO
image.  You'll have to open the ISO and edit the files within to get the
level of lock down we have.

Hope this helps in some way....

Paul Fritz