From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 1997 12:21:38 -0400
True, at least 100% is standard in retailing, including museum shops.
There is no law that I know of to regulate pricing of gift items.  Some are
marked up 400% if that's what the market will bear, and the items are
unique.  Merchandise taken on consignment (not purchased outright by the
museum shop, but held for the owner for resale) is raised by at least 50%
over what the owner wants to receive for the merchandise.