Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:53:18 -0500
The University of Victoria Cultural Resource Management Program is pleased
to present "Museums at the Crossroads" with Stephen Weil June 7-12 in
Victoria, BC, Canada. This unique learning opportunity will:

* Enhance your understanding of the evolution of the not-for-profit sector
over the past four decades and the implications of this evolution for
museums;
* Develop your planning, leadership, managerial, critical thinking and
visioning skills;
* Allow you to develop and apply tools for refining and redefining
institutional goals, structures and future directions.

Topics will include:

Getting to the Crossroads: The Museum as a Not-for-Profit Organization
* Map of organizational landscape; role of not-for-profits
* Evolution of not-for-profit from establishment to enterprise
* Museums at the crossroads: current challenges and opportunities

Choosing our Direction: Defining and Assessing Institutional Outcomes
* Establishing institutional purpose: patrons, participants, publics
* Inventory of museum outcomes; means to measure or ascertain museum
success
* Professionalism: Accreditation and Certification
* Strategic Collaborations Exercise and Discussion

How Do We Get There? Potentials and Pitfalls
* Tensions between mission and market
* Behind the Scenes at Emily Carr House
* Panel Discussion: "Exhibition Planning: From Regional to Royal"

Charting the Course: Ethical Expectations/ Marketing Expectations
* Panel Discussion: "Marketing from Inside Out"

Sharing the Driver's Seat: The Evolving Governance of Not-for-Profit
Organizations
* Trusteeship: history, traditional duties, emerging duties
* The Director's role in achieving Board success

Past participants in Museums at the Crossroads comment on their experience:

"One of the best museum programs I've ever attended, and such a fine group
to be with! Stephen is terrific in the manner he organized and presented
this week.  I am truly pleased to have been a participant."

"...deep knowledge, experience, and energy of the instructor.  [The course]
has really honed and enhanced my skills."

"Well organized, stimulating topics, excellent exercise and team building,
tremendous enhancement to professional knowledge and skills."

This six-day intensive workshop will bring together a maximum of 16
students, and spaces are still available.  Registration is $589 (Canadian
funds, credit or non-credit), and B&B style accommodation is available at
the University of Victoria campus for $38 per night.

To register or for more information, contact Kelly Wilhelm, Program
Coordinator as soon as possible, at [log in to unmask] or phone (250)
721-6119.

Kelly Wilhelm, Program Coordinator
Cultural Resource Management Program
Division of Continuing Studies