From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 May 1998 14:37:10 -0400
Political correctness is an interesting pejorative, but I don't think it
applies to this discussion.  It is probably more "PC" to exhibit all
evidence of our military prowess, than to downplay a national policy of
being prepared.

Item:
The Army is the only branch of the US Armed Forces that currently has no
national museum.  It is searching for a location, or so I see in the news.
Evidently the budget dollars have already been put up by the taxpayers to
build it.

Item:
Two schoolboys kill a teacher and wound classmates in Jonesboro, Ark.  The
media publish the photo of one of them, taken before he was 5 yrs. old,
pink-cheeked and smiling for the camera and fully uniformed and armed -- and
not just for hunting wild game.  This lad was groomed for war before he
could understand the meaning of peace.  He was the male equivalent of Jon
Benet, the 6-yr-old beauty queen who lost her life even before she could
understand what beauty is.

Item:
Huge sums are invested to keep government from banning the sale of military
weapons to the public, all in the name of the "right to bear arms."   One
doesn't need an Uzi to kill a deer or for self-protection.

One hopes the proposed National Army Museum will be politically incorrect,
i.e. that it will use technology and objects to shock, rather than thrill,
its visitors...that it will show what happened, and also how after many
wars, our culture devotes more to the apparatus of war than it does to
caring for the needs of humanity.