From:
Ken Yellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 1994 16:42:02 EDT
On Wed, 19 Oct 1994 14:25:24 -0400, John
Strand wrote:

>Thanks to Gary Noonan for raising the question of "balance" in the
>Smithsonian's exhibit that will deal, in part, with the history of the
>Enola Gay (no one else has seen it yet, either; it hasn't opened). One
>problem may be the impossible task of achieving editorial balance in a
>public exhibition on a topic of even modest controversy. Since the
>definitions of appropriate balance will be virtually numberless, I myself
>argue for the freedom--and the courage--of the curator to present an
>intelligent, informed, and hopefully challenging viewpoint on a topic. In
>this model, the curatorial process is one step in what is closer to a
>public debate. And it need not be one-sided: there are options for the
>public to respond, disagree, challenge--i.e., strike its own balance.
>
>John Strand
>Editor/Publisher
>Museum News
>American Association of Museums
>202-289-9124

Even if the exhibit were signed by the curator -- and I don't think NASM
does that -- it is the MUSEUM, not the curator, that presents the exhibit,
and the Smithsonian at that.  Surely that makes some kind of a
difference.  Moreover, think of who goes there:  Almost everybody from
just about everywhere.  None of us can make any assumptions whatever about
what knowledge they bring with them, their ability to evaluate critically
what they see and read and to put it into context, what the
traditional viewpoint that is being revised even was, and so on.  At the
risk of sounding like Jesse Helms, I'm not convinced the veterans groups
were so very out of line.  After all, even if you put out a comment book
in which I can register my anguish at what is exhibited and how it is
interpreted, the exhibit is still up when I leave the building,
essentially unchanged and with the weight of the Smithsonian's authority
behind it.
Ken Yellis
Assistant Director for Public Programs
Peabody Museum of Natural History