From:
Tiffany Charles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2016 15:35:34 -0500
Hi Stephanie,

At The National WWII Museum we had special cabinets made for the long gun storage, but I know that's not possible for many museums. We are actually undergoing a renovation of our collections storage spaces and in the interim we're using temporary cabinets. For those, an option is to use ethafoam/volara/tyvek-lined barrel rests inside the storage cabinet with the bottom or a butt plate also lined with an archival material.

Re: handguns, we have so many that we use deep drawers with custom mounts made from ethafoam planks and again, some type of protective archival covering or another.

We have no access to our compact storage right now, otherwise I would send along a few photos of what we use. If you still need info/ideas in a few months once the renovation is finished, I'd be happy to send image and/or discuss offlist.

Hope this helps!
Best,
Tiffany

Tiffany Charles