From:
Donald Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:21:52 -0600
Dear Regan,

Thank you for your comments.

I think Christian's comments were about how generally ill-informed many
members of the public are upon arrival at exhibitions and, therefore,
how ill-suited they would be for explaining objects.  Of course, it all
depends on what sort of objects are being displayed and what the aims
of the exhibition are (as your comments suggest).  But all too often
people will think they can interpret objects just as well as anybody
else, and that's insulting to the education, training and experience of
the professional.  In art, for instance, there is often a general sense
that interpretation is mostly about one's own individual feelings,
which for much of the history of art is just plain wrong.

While visitors' perspectives can certainly be very interesting,
enlightening and, in some circumstances, crucial, they can also be just
incorrect, and, it seems to me, there are always some facts that are
basic and need to be understood before any further consideration can be
made--otherwise, it all becomes pointless flights of fancy.  But,
again, it really depends on the type and aim of the exhibition.

And, while it's unfortunately true that curators can get it wrong and
mislead visitors, that's just an error on the part of certain curators
and not a condemnation of the whole process.  It doesn't stand to
reason that, because some curators make mistakes, we should just leave
it to visitors--who typically have a much less developed base of
knowledge regarding the objects being displayed--to do the job.  To
reduce it to absurdity, that would be like NASA deciding that, since
there have been serious problems with the shuttle program, they will
get, say, local mechanics to maintain and repair the shuttles.

The model of the authoritative expert can be very problematic, but the
opposite extreme, where each person is as capable as the next of
interpreting, also has many problems.

Well, I've rambled enough!  Thanks for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Don Myers

Donald Myers
Director