From:
dellatoth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 23:15:47 -0400
Hi all,

I too would be interested in experiences in teaching architecture to
children as well as youth and informal adult learners.

The Education staff at the Art Gallery of Ontario are beginning to deeply
consider public, school group and studio programming focusing on
architecture.  We are embarking on a transformation of the gallery by none
other than Frank Gehry.  While the staff and the people of Toronto wait with
great anticipation for the unveiling of Gehry's plans and model, we are
looking to take advantage of our experience in having the gallery
transformed around us by one of the world's most prominent architects.
Another neat aspect of Gehry's transformation of the AGO is that he lived
right across the street from the gallery as a boy and claims that his first
deep artistic experience happened here.  Even more fascinating, the Royal
Ontario Museum www.rom.on.ca  just across the University of Toronto campus
from us is being transformed by Daniel Libeskind and right next door, a bold
expansion to the Ontario College of Art and Design www.ocad.on,ca by William
Alsop.

We will be offering programming for family groups through our Family Sundays
programs starting next fall, a youth architecture program starting this
summer, and of course special lectures and adult courses. As a department,
we are concerned that we do not just offer courses in basic architectural
drafting, model making and history.  We are very interested in exploring
issues in social architecture and the role of public institutions like
galleries and museums in communities.

We want to have our youth program (ages 15 to 19) to explore the idea of how
the AGO might be transformed by the students themselves.  Our initial ideas
about how we might get the ball rolling has us starting with a large
group-contributed collage featuring images of all sorts of social spaces
including domestic, corporate, museum, educational public common and
commercial.  The idea being that the students begin to identify and consider
the relationships of each of these spaces.  This will include mapping the
community and then working towards producing models and drawings without
getting into any in-depth drafting and technical modeling.  This process
will be supplemented with formal sculptural and graphic studies.  We are
planning to produce a single group project and although the students will
not be able to take the larger model and graphics away with them, they will
be able to take away documentation as a folio of photographs and documents.

I am consulting with a prominent local architect and professor about how he
thinks architecture should be presented and taught to young learners.  We
seem to be in agreement that the course should avoid jumping into the
technical design aspects of architecture. We do want to reinforce the
collaborative and team aspects of professional architecture.   As part of
the course, we are also hoping to start an ongoing dialogue between the
class and the Gehry office.

I too would be very interested in hearing anyone else's experience in
exploring architecture in museum/gallery public programming.  Please do not
hesitate to contact me off-list.

Paul Toth
Manager, Studio Programs
Art Gallery of Ontario