From:
nicholas p ciotola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 12:25:55 -0400
All,

I guess it was naive to hope that my last posting would end, once and for
all, the seemingly never ending discussion on finding museum employment.
So, since we are on the subject again, here is my take...

Posting a resume on the internet, as Erica Maniez states, is indeed
counterproductive.  I would even go so far as to say that job seekers who
take such desperate actions may unwittingly decrease their chances for
future employment.  You see, by posting a resume on the internet, one is
demonstrating that he or she does not have the energy to actively search
for a job and energetically go after it, but instead wants a job to come
to them.  Most museums do not desire such qualities in their employees.

Indeed, I empathize with students who want to exhaust all possiblities as
the days prior to graduation grow fewer and fewer.  However, I have to
say that networking with museum professionals, tailoring resumes to fit
posted positions, and accepting volunteer positions as prerequisites to
full-time employment make much more sense that sitting back and waiting
for the phone to ring.

Nicholas P. Ciotola
Curator, Italian American Collection
Senator John Heinz Pittsburgh Regional History Center
1212 Smallman Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15217

Museum-L" (without the quotes).